KELOWNA ATV CLUB RIDE LEADER’S CHECKLIST Short Version 2.0
M. Dillon / D. Ried 15 April 2017
1. Find out:
a. What safety and recovery equipment is available.
b. The experience level.
c. Who has got First Aid training.
2. Count the number of machines and people riding (break up into groups?).
3. Assign riding order:
a. Novice riders go with experienced “buddies” to monitor safety and pass on riding tips.
b. Radio equipped riders 1st, 2ndand last.
4. Review proper trail etiquette (hikers, bikers & horses).
5. Review proper trail safety:
a. Safe distance between vehicles (critical when there is a lot of dust).
b. You are responsible for the person BEHIND you:
* After crossing a difficult spot wait to see that they made it okay.
* At forks in the trail wait until they catch up and can see which way you went.
* After not seeing them behind you for a while stop and wait until they come into sight.
* If the group gets split up wait for the riders ahead to come back to you.
* Don’t set out to see where they went.
6. Ensure that everybody knows the plan.
7. Check communications, ensure that headlights are on and then set out.
8. Ride at a pace that you are comfortable with.
9. Don’t attempt obstacles beyond your comfort level.
Don’t feel embarrassed or under any pressure to take unnecessary risks.
10. When encountering a situation where a rider is uncomfortable with an obstacle or difficult section of trail then:
a. Fix the trail.
b. Winch the machine.
c. Have a more experience person ride the machine through the tough spot
(Be sure that the person is familiar with the machine or spend some time with familiarization).